Recently our blog featured a post about the relationship between Design Office and Ceramic Tile and Bathroom Supplies and the mutual business we have been able to agree. This week, we are focusing specifically on the fantastic new website that we have just put live for Ceramic Tile and Bathroom Supplies.
Design Office completed the original design for their website, but felt that it needed a fresh, modern twist on the style. The original brand features a classic colour palette of black, white and silver, but this time the Design Office team felt that the brand needed an injection of colour that would really make them stand out from the crowd. When designing the new designs for their van the talented designers here in the office decided to incorporate a vibrant lime green into the design to really make the vehicle pop when on the road. Therefore, the same zesty hue was added to a fabulous new website design to give the brand a fresh appeal.
Beyond complying to Google algorithm to ensure that technically the website will receive a good ranking, our talented designers also put a lot of thought and attention to detail into the actual design to ensure that it would be appealing to a larger number of users. To do this, we focused on 9 principles of effective web design.
1. PURPOSE – Good web design always caters to the needs of the user. Are the users looking for information, entertainment, some type of interaction or to transact with the business? Each page of the website needed to have a clear purpose, and to fulfill a specific need for users in the most effective way possible.
2. COMMUNICATION – Users want information quickly, so it important to communicate clearly and to make information easy to read and digest. This includes organising information using headlines and sub headlines and using pullet points instead of long sentences.
3. TYPEFACES – In general, Sans Serif fonts are easier to read online which is why we committed to this style when designing. It is also recommended that a maximum of three typefaces and font sizes are used to keep the design streamlined, which we also kept in mind when designing the site.
4. COLOURS – A well considered colour palette can go a long way to enhance the user experience. While complementary colours create balance and harmony, using contrasting colours for the text and background will make reading easier on the eye. This is why in our design we chose to keep the palette classic with lots of white space, whilst introducing a splash of green.
5. IMAGES – A pictures is worth a thousand words, which is why we wanted to make the website very visual and image based. The right image can help the business connect with their target audience, as well as improve their brand positioning. While we do use stock images when necessary for a high quality we design, we are also fortunate enough to be able to offer a high quality photography service, so very often we are able to complete a photography shoot to get the pictures that we want and think will make the strongest design.
6. NAVIGATION – Easy navigation around the website is a vital element of the website and when designing a website we always keep in ming the ‘3-click rule’ – all users should be able to find what they are looking for within three clicks. To help us achieve this we created an efficient homepage that not only has a menu at the top, but visual click through buttons to aid the user when navigating to the information they are looking for.
7. GRID BASED LAYOUTS – Placing content randomly on a web page can cause a messy appearance. Grid based layouts arrange content into sections, columns and boxes that line up and feel balanced, leads to a better looking website design. When designing the site for Ceramic Tile and Bathroom Supplies our professional creative team created a unique grid for the site and aligned everything to this to create a balanced and professional looking outcome.
9. MOBILE FRIENDLY – This was touched on earlier in the post, but it is becoming increasingly important to have a mobile friendly site as more and more users are choosing to browse on their smartphone devices. The Web team at Design Office always consider this when designing a website, which is why every website we create is responsive.
Here at Design Office we pride ourselves in being able to take a design brief and turn it into a live website within just a few weeks, so if you are looking for a website design and build, whether it be an update to your existing site or a new site from scratch, why not arrange a no obligation consultation with a member of our marketing team today? Call 01270 252106 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org now!